The RMLA is a professional and educational association founded in 1971 to meet the needs of the growing ski industry in Colorado. The organization was established as the Rocky Mountain Lift Maintenance Association, dedicated to sharing information and problem solving ideas among lift maintenance personnel. In 1976, the name was changed to Rocky Mountain Lift Association (RMLA) to recognize the vital roles played by all lift operations and maintenance personnel.
The purpose and objectives of the organization are to:
- Obtain and disseminate information relating to passenger ropeway operations and maintenance;
- provide on-going educational opportunities for lift managers, supervisors, operators, mechanics, and electricians:
- provide input relative to regulations to authorities having jurisdiction in the lift industry;
- promote safety at all levels;
- provide such services as may be necessary or desirable for the benefit of the Association and the ski industry.